solar panels at night

Your Solar Panels at Night

To an average person, solar panels are generally known to generate power during the day.  However, have you ever wondered what happens to solar panels at night or on cloudy days?

 
The Philippines, on average, gets about 4.5 – 5 hours of sunlight per day. This means that homes or businesses that are powered by Solar PV systems get about 18 – 20% optimal use and the remaining 80% is to be determined.

Before we take a look into how Solar PV systems work at night, we must see first how Solar PV systems generate power.

 

How do Solar PV Systems generate power?

In order for solar PV systems to convert solar energy into electricity, you need to have ample sunlight. This is why solar panels work best during summer months! Generally, you can still generate a little bit of power for your homes and businesses.

The great thing about solar is that the power generated by the system can be switched at any time to draw from a power grid; be used at the same time as your local utility provider; or when on an off-grid or hybrid system; used as a backup generator for your daily electrical needs.

 

Do Solar PV systems work at night?

If you have a battery bank set up, you’ll be able to access the stored energy your Solar PV system has generated when needed. Most Solar Homes or Solar Businesses gravitate towards getting backup-batteries as well, in case of emergency situations where power outages occur, or in some instances use the leftover generated power at night.

Even without a battery bank, solar PV systems can help heavily reduce your utility bill from the moment of energization.

 

Investing in Solar

When looking at investing in Solar from a financial perspective, the results of the investment is ideally captured per year and not so much on a particular day. Utility companies will usually compensate you at the end of the month for any extra power that you generate from your Solar PV system all while reducing your own cost and impact on the environment.

 
To find out more about how to invest in solar in the Philippines, or how ‘making the switch’ can help boost your homes and businesses; you may check out our other blog post or reach out to one of our Solar Ambassadors today!

Comment (5)
Scolex Portal
October 15, 2022

Solar panel is really helpful especially here in our locality where there are frequent power interruption. I badly need one so that I can continue my work or studies even during brownout.

Reply
Ryan
January 13, 2023

I respect everything that you have written in this blog. Please continue to provide wisdom to more people like me.

Reply
Solar Panels Irvine
March 22, 2023

Thanks for sharing this informative article post about solar panels and give us all the guidelines.

Reply
San Bernardino Electrician
April 18, 2023

Great article! Solar panels are designed to produce electricity from sunlight, which means that they are not able to generate power at night. This can be a concern for homeowners or businesses that rely on solar energy as their primary source of electricity. However, there are a few options for those who want to continue using solar power at night. One option is to install battery storage systems that can store excess solar energy generated during the day and use it at night. Another option is to connect the solar panels to the grid and rely on the power from the utility company at night. It is important to consider the specific needs and circumstances of each situation when determining the best approach for using solar energy at night.

Reply
zidane
October 17, 2023

thanks for the great article, keep up the good work

Reply

Leave A Comment